Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July and some thoughts on babywearing

A month ago, we were wondering what our 4th of July would look like -- mostly whether we'd be in the hospital, just getting home with a brand new baby, or if I'd be hugely pregnant and miserable. Turns out it was none of those, so we got to celebrate with friends from small group.

After a week of thunderstormy afternoons, we got a gorgeous (although hot) day to enjoy at a friend's house right on the water. No swimming for us, although I did dip my feet in and Ben enjoyed some cannonballs off the end of the dock. We mostly hung out on the porch, enjoying friends and food. Daphne got passed around and was a superstar, not to mention incredibly cute in her denim jumper. Forgot to take a picture -- oops.

Today, she ate a lot and we both dozed until noon, when I realized that my little breakfast from five hours ago wasn't holding up, so I ventured downstairs for lunch. At that point, Daphne decided she really wanted to be held, or maybe fed, despite having eaten less than an hour before. There's no way I could cook and eat with my little one screaming, so out came the Moby wrap.

I'm really proud of this garage sale find -- just $5 for a super long strip of fabric that I magically wrap around myself and can securely tuck my baby into. So far, we've just been using the "hug hold," which puts Daphne upright with her ear right where she can hear my heartbeat. Within minutes of getting put in today, she was fast asleep. I got to enjoy my lunch, water my herbs, kale, and summer squash seedlings, toss some diapers into the wash, and type a blog post. Brilliant! I have a feeling this thing will be getting a lot more use in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment